Empower audiences to create and enjoy expressions of the human experience through the unity of poetry and music
What is Art Song?
Art Song is a vocal music composition which is typically written for a solo voice with piano accompaniment, and is usually in the Western classical music tradition. These works are often featured in sets or cycles and are presented by a singer and pianist in a recital. Art songs typically use poems that are either independent works or part of a larger cycle of poems. The composers create a musical setting of these poems or other texts, and create a piece that conveys meaning by joining music with text.
To learn more about art song, visit our Classes page to sign up for a FREE class.
Seattle Art Song Society is proud to offer the following programs to the community (click on any item for more information, or to sign up):
- Recitals featuring world-renowned singers and regional artists
- New works initiatives
- Lift Every Voice (FREE group voice lessons)
- Behind the Staff (FREE classes on art song and vocal music analysis)
- Sips and Songs (Evenings of art song presented at local bars with encouraged audience participation)
- Songscaping (Workshops with students or adults for the creation of songs)